Friday, June 20, 2008

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT A CHICKEN ...

That's what I was going to write about today. It was a pretty uneventful morning. On the 30-minute ride to the grocery store, I passed a chicken in the road that had been run over. I was going to wax philosophic about always being surprised just when I thought I was used to life in the country. I mean, how often do you see chicken road kill? But, that all changed on the 30-minute ride home from the grocery store.

Cakes was unhappy that she was being put into her car seat after I loaded the groceries into the trunk. But, I figured, it was her naptime, after all. She had done this before - screamed for about 10 minutes and then fallen fast asleep. So, I wasn't too concerned, even as the screams and demands to be let out of the car seat intensified.

Then I heard it - those horrible gagging coughs that can only mean one thing. Bean, who had been relatively calm throughout the whole tantrum, began screaming in a panicked voice, "Cakes throw up! Cakes throw up!" At this point, I still wasn't too concerned. It's pretty normal for one or both of my drama queens to get worked up during a tantrum and choke up a little phlegm. I pulled off to the side of the country road and grabbed a wipe so I could clean up the little bit of phlegm. But, I was going to need a lot more than one wipe.

Now, let me qualify that I am not one to call in times of crisis. That being said, I have never seen so much vomit come out of such a little person. It was everywhere. So, I began hurriedly pulling out wipes and cleaning the slime off of her. Meanwhile, Cakes kept screaming, and then started throwing up again, rubbing it all over her face and hair while it pooled beside her legs in the car seat. That got Bean screaming again, and I started frantically screaming, "Don't throw up! Don't throw up!" (Very soothing for an already worked-up child, I know).

So, there we were, three screaming females parked on the side of the road in the middle of the country. I finally got Cakes stripped down and wiped up enough to attempt the ride home. Let me tell you, it wasn't a fun 20 minutes. But, Bean sang soothing songs to Cakes and I put the pedal to the metal. An hour later, we're all bathed and eating popcorn, and I'm blogging to put off going outside to hose down the car seat.

8 comments:

Holly said...

Eewwww. I can tolerate most anything- except vomit. I'm so thankful you didn't post any pictures!

life, in recipes said...

mmmmm.... there's nothing more fun than puke in the carseat.

i hope she's okay! sounds like it, since she was eating popcorn just a short while later.

Kellan said...

Oh My - I was right there with you screaming - "don't throw up - don't throw up" - HA! Poor thing. Hope she is okay.

Thanks for coming by today - nice to see you. Have a good weekend - Kellan

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your exorcist-style-spewing experience...luckily you weren't in a tunnel in the middle of a city or something! Thank goodness you could pull over! :)

Casa De Galletti said...

I hate that cough before the throw-up. That gets me jumping into action SO quickly when I think that I hear it in the middle of the night.

natasha said...

you poor woman!i am a simpathetic vomiter so that would have been a major situation in my world. i would have been tempted to throw the car seat away too come to think of it...

Tanya said...

Oh, I can relate. Ellie got some stomach bug while we were visiting the in-laws once last year. The entire hour-and-a-half drive home, she was vomitting. That is, until she fell asleep in it about 20 minutes before we got home. It was AWFUL!!! I'm so glad you had a short drive to get home! And getting the smell of vomit out of a car isn't the easiest thing in the world. I suggest a lot of baking soda. :)

Oceanchild said...

Oh sad. I hate throwing up and I hate cleaning it up and I hate watching my kids throw up. I would have been screaming too!