Thursday, December 11, 2008

'FRO ME TO YOU - NOT AS BAD AS DORA WAS

After the inexplicable popularity of Cakes' Dora birthday cake among my two children, Bean was requesting a character cake for her birthday as well. Her first request? Uniqua from the Backyardigans. Well, that certainly wasn't going to happen. Neither were any of the characters from Blue's Room or Yo Gabba Gabba. No Wonder Pets, either. So, I hopped onto Nick Jr.'s trusty website to see if I could find something doable.

I found this (photo courtesy of the Nick Jr. website).



It's round, it's almost monochromatic, and it doesn't require copious amounts of drawing with icing. Easy, right? Well ....

It's like some Backyardigans bizaaro world - it looks familiar, but is just off enough to be really creepy. The first thing Big Daddy said to me was, "Why didn't you mix the icing? The color's all uneven." Yes. In spite of stirring until my arm hurt, the icing still looks like a satellite photo of the Pacific Ocean. I can't seem to get away from grotesque skin texture. And, I don't know where they found their Oreos, but the ones I found made Pablo's eyes ... um ... a bit oversized (to say the least). The hat looked really easy in the picture, but mine looks like a multi-colored pile of poo.

At least it's not as bad as Dora was.

If it weren't for my children's undying gratitude and sheer awe of my cake making ability (not to mention good blog fodder), I would be buying stock in Carvel Cakes.

Check out more photos that won't be in any scrapbooks on We Are THAT Family.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Great job! It's looks really good. I'm so inept in this department!

Oceanchild said...

You are so nice to make those cakes. I hate backyardigans and LOVE wonder pets. I just find it amazing that they can use that same tune for any situation:

"it's a baby penguin!"
"he needs our help"
"to the fly-boat...let's fly the fly-boat"

great now it is stuck in my head.

Tanya said...

LOL!! This is hysterical! I hate to say it --- no, I don't. Dora was better. I can't even tell what this is! And the dilated eyes ... Oh, I'm gonna wet myself!

Kat said...

Haha! You are my hero! That is FAR better than I could have done.

Alexia said...

LOL I sympathize. I've tried to make two character cakes and bombed at both of them. Thankfully it was for my boys' 1-year parties so I can burn the photos and all they will remember is the fabulous bakery cakes I'll be buying from now on! ;)

Muthering Heights said...

Hey, it's recognizable...it looks better than what I could have done!

Kara said...

Oh I love it! Those cakes in the pictures I believe are "airbrushed", hey if it works for models why not cakes!!
But what a good mom to make her cake, no matter what:)