Monday, December 1, 2008

STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

So, it was some time in the wee morning hours this weekend. I had been up most of the night, because about five trains went through the neighboring town, whistles blowing and wheels rumbling. Of course, all the country dogs were barking like crazy. That many trains in one night was weird. Usually, we hear one or two roll by, but five?

As the rumbling faded away, I heard some weird sounds coming from the woods across the street from my house. A couple of men were yelling in a foreign language. Then, a whole group of people started chanting in a foreign language while someone played a tambourine. Everything would get quiet for a minute or so, and then it would start again. This went on for about twenty or thirty minutes.

I've been looking up all kinds of things on the internet, trying to figure out what in the world could have been going on out there in the woods, but I keep coming up empty-handed. Any ideas?

4 comments:

Kat said...

Hmm. You don't suppose they were hitching a ride on the trains and jumped off together do ya? A bunch of runaway hobos or something?
Very strange. I think I would have been pretty freaked out.

Oceanchild said...

Wow. I don't have any advice on what was going on, but you must have a lot more patience than I do.seriously...chanting in the middle of the night? Wasn't there a cove or cave or secret beach spot they could go to??

Holly said...

First, Congrats on the good news:) Second, you totally just freaked me out with this story. I would have been up the rest of the night. Please do tell if you find out what that was all about...

Kara said...

Gypsies...they still roam and sometimes hitch rides on trains, I'm not making this up, as weird as it sounds!