Monday, April 6, 2009

LEAN MEAN DADDY MACHINE, WEEK 3

Well, Big Daddy has hit his first weight loss plateau. He knows that weight loss tends to plateau on occasion, but he's a little discouraged about it happening so soon, especially after such tremendous weight loss during the first two weeks.

My solution is for Big Daddy to begin an exercise regimen. We both know that sensible eating alone is not going to maximize weight loss. Big Daddy has a very physical job working construction, but that kind of exertion is different than a daily 30 minutes of controlled and steady movement.

Unfortunately, Big Daddy heard some chiropractor on the radio talking about cutting all sorts of foods out of your diet to make weight loss happen more quickly. Personally, I think those kind of self-depriving fad diets do more harm than good in the long run, but they hold some kind of strange appeal for Big Daddy. I'm all for moderation. I mean, if people really feel the need to deprive themselves of something for the sake of weight loss, I think they should look at it from the angle that they are already depriving themselves of all the junk food they would normally eat and of the portion sizes they would usually take.

So, I'll see if I can light a fire under Big Daddy to start in on the exercise, and we'll see what happens this week.

4 comments:

Kat said...

I completely agree with you. I am not a fan of any "diet" that cuts foods out of your regular diet. To me, you will always fall off that diet plan. You can't live with it forever. But so many people want a quick fix. Unfortunately it just doesn't last.
I agree with everything in moderation. It is my motto. ;)
Good luck Big Daddy!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Big Daddy is viewing the "fad diet" as a sort of fast, a set time of deprivation for a specific purpose.

The South Beach Diet is that way. It cuts out all carbs and refined sugars, but only for two weeks. Then participants slowly reintroduce those things in a moderate way. I believe the exercise is intended to teach moderate intake. Regardless of the purpose, the results are clear: significant weight loss during those first two weeks.

Kara said...

Tell him to hang in there! I was going to tell you that my sister (a nutritionist) gave him the book Body for Life, there is also a website. He adjusted his diet, started doing the exercise program regularly and he finally started his downhill slide. I'm still in awe of anyone who loses weight, that is such discipline and commitment....Go Big Daddy!

Kara said...

I realize in that last comment I neglected to say who I was referring to, the him was WB:)