Wednesday, April 22, 2009

R.I.P. MALIK (1995-2009)


In 2000, Malik was found tied to a tree in Philadelphia with a note pinned to his collar that said, "Please take me home with you." He was extremely aggressive, covered in fleas, and his skin was black and scaly from seborrhea. He showed signs of neglect and physical abuse. And I fell in love with him at first sight.
For nine years, Malik was at my side at every moment. He walked so closely behind me that if I stopped suddenly, he would run into my calf with his cold, wet nose.
After I had the cherubs, Malik didn't receive as much attention as he used to. But, I don't think he minded. He was old, and his day consisted of eating, sleeping, and doing his business. He didn't affect daily life in the house much, but he was a fixture.
On Monday, I accidentally hit Malik with my car, breaking his leg in a very bad place. Because of his age and the nature of his injury, the veterinarian recommended euthenasia. He will be sorely missed.

2 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

Poor little guy...losing a pet is always hard. :( I'm glad you were able to give him such a happy life though!

Mom2Da'Gorgeouses said...

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry about the loss of Malik. What a wonderful life he must have had with you all, especially once he found playmates with the cherubs.

Hugs & Blessings!