Wednesday, May 14, 2008

OUR GARDEN

I have learned that gardening, like pretty much everything else in life, is easier without two "helpful" toddlers. I spent hours thinking of activities that would distract my children while Big Daddy and I planted; but, as far as the cherubs were concerned, none of those well-thought-out activities could compare with the joy of digging up freshly planted seeds and plants. Or with the joy of moving all of my carefully placed plant labels so that I was unsure what was planted where. Or with the joy of stripping all the leaves off of a tomato plant to see if they tasted as good as the basil and peppermint plants' leaves.


Or with the joy of dumping spadefuls of poo-dirt on each other's heads.

And, since we spent so much time in the dirt, we got to start and end the day with a bath. Fortunately, the evening bath was happily received by the kiddos, who were covered in the afore-mentioned poo-dirt, plus soaking wet from playing with the hose (another well-thought-out activity planned to divert their attention away from the garden).

So, we're waiting with baited breath for the first signs of life from our seeds, and for the first fruits (well ... veggies) of our labor to appear. In all, it was a productive (albeit lengthier than necessary) undertaking, and we're thrilled to have our garden.





Happy belated Mother's Day to me!

No comments: