Friday, August 1, 2008

BACK TO THE BEGINNING

When I first started blogging, I was trying to wean my youngest child. Here's the scenario:

Bean refused to nurse. Having never had a baby before, much less tried to breastfeed one, I had one very frustrating week full of breast pumps and lanolin. Finally, I gave up and gave her expressed breast milk until my supply was gone (about six months).

So, when Cakes came along, I was determined to nurse her exclusively for a year. And I did. And then it was 18 months. Now, she will be two in less than a month. And she still won't stop nursing.

And so, after discussing with my pediatrician, I've decided that we need to just go cold turkey. I mean, when your kid can walk up to you, request "booby," and then specify, "Okay, that booby now," it's time to freaking wean. Don't you agree?

Yes, it will be agonizing for my child. And agonizing for me. Has anyone seen Pioneer Woman's posts of their poor cows' engorged teats? Yeah, it's not going to be fun. Couple that with the fact that Cakes has that wonderful habit of screaming until she projectile vomits. Yeah. Yeah.

Here we go!

4 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

Best of luck to you...when I stopped nursing, I actually wondered if you could DIE of engorgement pain. It was bad. VERY bad. I hope you pull through better than I did!

Oceanchild said...

Wow. almost two and still nursing. See I have to give you credit because I HATED nursing and only stuck through it because I felt guilty (and even then it was only six months). But yeah, if someone is asking for a booby, it is probably time. Good luck and i don't envy the ouches that will be your boobs for awhile.

Casa De Galletti said...

Going cold turkey will SUCK (no pun intended) for both of you!
Try cutting out one a day or one every other day or one every week so that you can adjust physically and she can adjust emotionally.

At 2 the whining gets annoying, so telling her NO and making her wait until YOU are ready to nurse her REALLY helps you to feel more in control of the situation/relationship again. It's our job to set the rules, boundries and limits; not theirs.

Tanya said...

Praying for you. :) You can do it and so can she!